MENU

When the Four-Year Plan Doesn’t Go as Planned

Okinawa Japan, the first place I grew up in and where I spent most of my childhood in.

Before going into high school some people have a clear idea of what they want their four years to look like. As much as we spend planning and envisioning our lives during these four years we tend to forget that feelings change, relationships change and what we want also changes. This is what I realized towards the end of my senior year. What I once wanted is not what I want now; things do not always go according to plan. In fact they can become something you hardly recognize but ultimately life is about change and growth.

Don’t believe that you will have it all figured out when you get older because you won’t. For example, if you think that you know what you want to study in college just take this into consideration. On average, college students change their major at least three times. You’re going to feel lost and confused, so much that you start to question what you once thought was true but that’s normal. Your peers are going through the same thing, even the ones who plan every step meticulously and organize their days in lists in neat planners. (here’s a tip: try your best to avoid comparing yourself to others. Nothing is what it seems to be on the outside and plus it’s pointless)

Cebu, Philippines: the move here was unexpected but I learned so much about my culture living here.

Life is going to be full of stops, sudden and sharp turns and unexpected destinations. It’s very representative of the life I’ve lived so far. I moved to three different countries and met people from various backgrounds.  I learned not to get too comfortable in a location and whenever I moved I quickly accepted the change and continued to grow in whatever place I was relocated at; no matter what the circumstances were, I had to keep going.

It’s okay when things don’t go according to plan, mostly likely it’s better. I’ve learned a lot through failure. Life does not get easier as we grow older but in the future we are equipped with experience and therefore we can handle things that life throws at us better.

FullSizeRender (1)

As you can see the thing that is constant is living in places that are near the ocean. No matter how unpredictable life is some things always remain the same.