MENU

Polliwog Park

Polliwog park in Manhattan beach serves the city’s water system and acts as a retention basin. The park is owned by MBUSD, however is regulated by the LA County Water Department. The Polliwog Park we know today has been a long time coming. In the early 1950’s, measure CC was put on the city ballot, proposing to take $19,000 of the city’s bond money towards beautifying the park, and the measure was passed with overwhelming support. Later, the MBUSD Board of Trustees bought all 17 acres of the land that the park sat on for $60,000 from its owner Flavia Brown. The school district then hoped to build La Marina elementary, and construction began in 1951, only for the school to be shut down 30 years later. In the 1970s, the Park we know today started to take shape, with the Manhattan Beach Jaycees taking on the jobs of beautifying the lands: adding gazebos, fire pits, and picnic tables. Architect Richard Bigler was endorsed to build the park’s playground, which was officially complete in 1976. Throughout its history, the park’s Summer Concert Series played a major role in the success of some chart-toppers, including Black Flag, The Tourists,  and Redd Kross. Today, Polliwog Park is one of Manhattan Beach’s most popular attractions, serving to thousands of people every year.