MENU

Audition Skills

The Mira Costa Drama Department’s Spring Musical is just around the corner, and actors are using skills ranging from dressing appropriately to being courteous and professional to impress the judges at auditions this week. However, what many don’t know is that being well prepared for an audition can actually help in other situations, like job interviews or just making a good first impression.

On the subject of attire, girls are always suggested to wear something modest but flattering that represents their personality well. The same goes for boys, who should look sharp and well put-together.  The outfit of choice can also suggest that the actor or actress is going for a certain part (that character is reflected in the style). This idea is also present when one goes in for a job interview. For example, if you’re looking to snag a job in an office, it’s probably beneficial to look and feel professional. If you feel the part, you’re more likely to become the part. It shows commitment, whether you’re auditioning or interviewing.

Basic courtesy and etiquette is also very smiled upon in auditions, as it leaves a very good first impression. If you’re ever in a situation when you have a pianist or instrumentalist accompanying you, it is important to thank them for their help as well as thank the directors or teachers that are evaluating you. It is necessary to let them know you’re thankful for them spending time listening to you.

This may seem like a no brainer, but for an audition, just like with any interview or important meeting, it’s necessary to be very well rested and healthy. Take care of yourself!

For more in depth details on how to be prepared for an audition, check out an article by Denise Simon on this website. 

Thoroughly Modern Millie will be opening in late April and showing into the beginning of May.