The Downtowner has been operating in Manhattan Beach for the past year under a pilot program to provide free rides to residents in the city. The service has been provided free to the city, being funded by ad revenue as well as tips for the drivers.
Currently, the city is looking to expand the service citywide, instead of being limited to a small area west of the Pacific Ave. The city has put out a request for proposal(RFP) for companies, including the Downtowner, to propose a plan to provide a ride service for the city.
Information from the pilot program:
- In 4 months: 21336 passengers
- 6 designated vehicles (3 of them at use at any given time)
- Average wait time is 11:54
- 8,518 (most rides) downtown area by the pier
- Hope to change vehicle to a chevy bolt to expand service
- Estimated yearly operating cost is 5.59 per passenger
- Advertising revenue yearly of 75,000 (advertising; sponsors)
- 444,400 net operating cost