This year, the University of California schools have adopted an enrollment cap, accepting only 20% of their out of state applicants, leaving 80% of potential spots to California residents. This is due to lawmakers who threatened to hold back over $18 million if the schools did not put a cap on their out of state applications. This will be the first limit put into action throughout the 10 campus public research university.
Tuition at the schools all cost $13,500 for in state residents, and total $34,200 after books, housing, and personal expenses. This reduced cost is the main reason California residents are pushing for the cap.
The UC schools are continuing to grow their 1.3 million person alumni network all over the world, and the UC cap will be no exception.