The official definition of summer: the warmest season of the year, in the northern hemisphere from June to August and in the southern hemisphere from December to February. This definition from a dictionary is incredibly bland when compared to how summer actually is in the South Bay. I, as cheesy as it sounds, think of summer as a time of beach, sun, and fun.
School is back in session and I miss summer. I don’t just miss summer, I dream about going back to relaxing and not worrying about APs and tests. Here are 5 easy ways to continue summer fun:
1. Spontaneously drive or walk to the beach and do your homework there. Bring your sunglasses and books and study at the beach.
2. Now that the crowds have left because summer is over, it is the perfect time to go to an amusement park. Especially in the month of September, Mira Costa kids have a lot of weekdays off, so go enjoy the many parks Los Angeles has to offer. From Knott’s Berry Farm, to Disneyland, to Six Flags, Soak City, and so many more, they are perfect to simulate a summer day.
3. Set up a slip n’slide at 27th and Highland in Manhattan Beach. There is a huge grassy hill that faces the ocean. It is perfect for sledding down, all you need is a tarp and lots of water. Invite your friends and have a blast!
4. Take a bike ride to Venice and/or Santa Monica. You will be basking in the summer sun, while getting exercise and spending time with friends. You can also stop by the infamous Urth Cafe for an iced drink and delicious sandwich.
5. Be a tourist for the day and walk the Hollywood Walk of Fame, visit the Wax Museum, sit in the renouned Kodak Theater, go to the Ripley’s Believe it or Not Museum, and put your hands on the handprints of famous icons in front of the Chinese Graumann Theater!
Don’t sulk in the back-to-school sadness. Go out there and have some summer fun!