MENU

Keeping it Clean

Everyday, student athletes and residents of the South Bay come to Mira Costa to play and practice on campus facilities like the pool, turf field, gym, and baseball field. What some don’t see are maintenance staff members cleaning up the mess and keeping these spaces up and running for continuous use. We talked to Matt Otte, the school’s pool maintenance supervisor, and he showed that there are many things to keep the pool clean like maintaining the chlorine levels and removing debris that falls into it. Some students who use the pool regularly, like Senior swim team member Emily Seth, explains how they feel they don’t show enough appreciation towards Matt and the work he puts in to the pool to keep it usable. For other facilities like the baseball field, the city of Manhattan Beach send some help. Bobby Dobson, the public works supervisor for Manhattan Beach, works alongside Alfonso Cano, a parks worker, to keep local parks clean and green for everybody to use. Now, they’ve been able to help the baseball team with their field especially during this rainy season. The head baseball coach, Kieth Ramsey, has made his team help clean the baseball field in order to learn the value of taking pride in the field they play on.