Too Cool for School

Oliver Cubillos, Reporter

The talk of college is not uncommon in the classroom, and since the first day of Freshmen year, students prepare rigorously for their future ahead. The AP courses provided by the College Board serve as an outlet for students to lessen the pressure of their higher education. Although proven beneficial to a students chance at getting ready for college, AP courses come at a cost. AP tests cost $96 and supplies such as books could cost up to $300. Also, if a student gets into a college with these AP courses, they must also pay for tuition, which, in the 2017/18 school year, averaged $34,000. The median income from 2016 in California was roughly $60,000, which makes one question whether or not it is indeed worth the financial risk to pay for these courses and college tuition. Other options exist for those cautious of taking the leap into college. Google, Apple, and other leading tech companies do not require a college degree for employment, and the cost of taking classes for these jobs is significantly lower than that of college. These jobs are also among the highest paying jobs of 2018. Other jobs exist for those who can’t afford college degrees, however the race for college continues.