MENU

Best of Mira Costa: Best Place to Get Inspired

The half of the 60s hall near the east hall lockers is the perfect place to take a nap during lunch or pop in the art room for a painting spree to shake up the day.

art room door

The art room door is always open for students to explore.

I love the 60s hall because it always reminds me that there are so many possibilities beyond just the normal classes in a school day. Sometimes I take a break to paint with friends or simply sit in the art room, surrounded by inspiring projects and ideas. It reminds me to relax and unwind. It can also allow me to be more in touch with my creative side. It can change my perspective and open me up to new ways of looking at the world and at the school environment. I think it is vital to have a space to celebrate creativity and letting go, especially in the overachieving, academic atmosphere at Mira Costa.

paint

Paintbrushes are just some of the tools students can use to express themselves.

Outside on the grass, the 60s hall is the sunniest hallway because there are not many trees to block the light coming in. This hallway is perfect for friendly people, good vibes, and a drop of inspiration in the middle of a stressful week. Need to catch up on sleep? Soft patches of grass invite overextended students to lie down and rest before rushing to their next class.

kellie nap

Sleeping in the sunny 60s hall can serve as a break from the day.

The art shows are also located in the 60s hall art gallery, so it serves as a refuge from the mundane. Students can check out fried egg exhibits and multimedia expositions. Almost every week, there is a different display, from abstract art to black and white photography.

gallery

A different art show each week can spice up the school day.

The art show displayed during the week of May 23rd was called “Into the Night.” It was created in a collaboration between Advanced Ceramics and Sculpture as well as Art 2 and 3. Each class worked on a different aspect of the exhibit. The Advanced Ceramics and Sculpture class designed and created the three-dimensional sculptures and videos, while the Art 2 and 3 students made the stop motion pieces.

One art show features projected videos and shadows.

“Into the Night” projects moving pictures over a three-dimensional model suspended in the air.

Through an MBEF grant, the art classes asked for projectors to expand the possibilities of displays in the art gallery. After receiving the donated projectors, students could mix projected images, videos, and three-dimensional artwork, collaborating across disciplines and classes.

shadow puppets

“Into the Night” puppets cast shadows on the projected video in the background.

creepy clown puppet

A three-dimensional aspect of “Into the Night.”

The 60s hall serves as a haven for people with artistic passion or appreciation. It is a much needed departure from an otherwise busy and overloaded school day. Access to art supplies leads to fun face painting or any other creative calling. The 60s hall serves as an open environment where people can mingle between groups and make new friends. With the art room, art gallery, and the warmth from the sun nearby, the 60s hall is the best artistic escape on campus.