MENU

5 Things You Didn’t Know About the Fall Play

Every year, the drama department puts on two shows a year, a play in the fall and a musical in the spring.  This year is no different, and they have worked hard to produce “Almost, Maine.” Yes, the final product of the show is what the audience sees in their seats, but with any kind of production, there’s no doubt about all the behind the scenes work that goes into putting on this play. With that being said, here are five things that you probably didn’t know about “Almost, Maine.”
  1. Hell Week

The final week before the show opens is typically the busiest for everyone. For the Drama Department, this is called Hell Week. The week before Hell Week is known as Tech Week, in which they figure out all the kinks and little bits of the technical elements of the show. The cast and tech team works from the moment that the final school bell rings at 3PM, to 11PM. They are in full show mode, and not to mention, they won’t be able to start any of their homework until after rehearsal at 11PM. Talk about dedication, huh?

1. Tech Team

Behind the scenes work tends to get overlooked because we get so wrapped up with the actors and actresses. Usually with these shows, the Drama Department would rent out a set for the duration of the show, and give it back. For this show though, the tech team built all of their sets from scratch. Senior Pauline Walsh led the team in creating this set, which took approximately a month and a half to make, working everyday. From cutting pieces of wood to painting, they are the aesthetics of the show.

1. Thrust Style Theatre

Typically, the stage is located in the front and the audience behind that. A thrust style theatre calls for three different angles in which the audience can enjoy the show. With this, you would have to make sure that everyone in the audience, from all three different angles, have to be entertained from whatever side they’re sitting on. It’s a little different than normal, and I’m sure they had lots of practice making sure that everything is well balanced on each end.

1.  Makeup/Costume

No, this show isn’t as extravagant than their 2016 spring musical show “Addams Family” when it comes to makeup and costumes, but it is often forgotten how much work goes into getting the actors and actresses in character. For “Almost, Maine,” some characters are even just wearing pajamas, while some have to wear up to three layers of clothing. Who does the makeup? Well, there’s a makeup artist for that, but they do have a few people who are on crew positions that take on the hair and makeup department. They are taught by the professionals on how to do specific looks, and they will help the actors get ready. Although this fall play may be minimal when it comes to hair and makeup, it’s still an important factor when it comes to creating the show.

1. Energy Circle

The Drama Department has a lot of traditions that they have, many of which are kept secret, but one of them that I found out was what was called an energy circle. One thing that they do that you might have seen on Instagram, is where they hold hands and jump all together, as seen in this picture. In addition, they encourage each other, talk about ways that they can improve the show right before they hit the stage, and generally just to get everyone pumped up! If you have ever been to a show that the Drama Department puts on, it’s quite the show and all of them are so full of energy and excitement.

“Almost, Maine” has three more shows left, so don’t miss out. If you have never been to a show of theirs, it’s quite impressive! I was impressed myself when I had the opportunity to go watch them. No joke, it is just as good, if not better than some professional shows. To buy tickets online, you can visit the Mira Costa Drama Website , or follow them on social media listed below.

Instagram – @mchsalmostmaine

@mchsdrama

@miracostadramatechdepartment

Twitter –  @miracostadrama