MENU

Student of the Year

Each spring, the faculty of Mira Costa are given the challenge of selecting one senior to receive the Student of the Year Award. This year’s nominees were Shubhayu Bhattacharyay, Cathy Miao, Oia Walker Van Aaist, Noah Forman, Miriam Sachs, Danielle Major, and Priya Chatwani. 

This prestigious award not only looks at the academic accomplishments of these students, but their extracurricular activities as well. The teachers start with the top ten percent of the senior class based on their GPA, compiled of all four years. They look at citizenship and involvement in other aspects of Costa life including: clubs, sports, band, drama, visual arts, etc. Once these students have been identified, teachers vote on their top three choices and the top five or six of these students become the nominees. The five or six students then create a resume that is given to the teachers. Each department meets, discusses, and picks their top student. Afterwards, the department chairs meet where the final decision is made.

This year Mrs. Martin was in charge of collecting teacher ballots, counting the votes, and organizing department chair meetings where the winner was chosen.

The 2016 Student of the Year Award was given to Miriam Sachs. Miriam is a part of the cinematic arts program, as well as news director of the Mustang Morning News. Outside of Mira Costa, she performs her writing  and spoken word poetry through the organizations: “Get Lit” and “In House.” Get Lit is an organization that promotes literacy in high schools, based in Los Angeles. Miriam has won the Poetry Out Loud contest three of her four years at Costa, with guidance from her English teacher, Ms. Sieker. She went on to win the LA County Contest and placed third in California for her performances. She has created various films, including one called “Spoons” that was screened at the Big Pride LA Film Festival. Miriam will be attending the USC School of Cinematic Arts in the fall.